Do you need a JP?
Justice of the Peace Services operate out of the Charlestown Electorate Office located at 3/313 Charlestown Rd, Charlestown. You can access them Monday-Friday, 9.30am-10.30am and 3.30pm-4.30pm.
As your local State Member of Parliament I can assist you to become a Justice of the Peace (JP).
A JP facilitates the swearing of Affidavits and Statutory Declarations. JPs play an essential part in the legal system and in the community in NSW. By volunteering to become a JP you will be providing a valuable and important service to your community or place of employment
To become a JP you must be nominated by a Member of Parliament.
You must also:
- be at least 18 years of age
- be an Australian Citizen or a person who is entitled to vote in this State (unless exempted by the Minister)
- be of good character
- not be an undischarged bankrupt
- consent to confidential personal inquiries to determine your suitability for appointment, including a criminal records check
- establish an employment and/or a community based need for appointment
- consent to having your full name published on the Justice of the Peace register.
- complete a JP Knowledge Test
To commence your JP application process, please click here to register your details on the NSW Department of Justice website.